A Zip file contains one or more files that has been compressed or archived to reduce the overall file size. It is a data compression & archive format, & supported by all major operating systems including Windows, which has in-built support for Zip files.
Zip file is widely used to compress files, to send data over internet or to backup data. However, due to its architecture it is highly prone to corruptions. Corruption or any sort of damage can leave crucial data inside a Zip file inaccessible.
There can be several causes, which can leave a Zip file in corrupt or damaged state. The below mentioned list highlights few common causes for Zip file corruption.
- When download a big sized Zip file from Internet or transferring it from local network, the file may get broken due to any interruption. This may lead to CRC errors or corruption & when trying to open the Zip file, we may get errors like these
- Cannot open file: does not appear to be a valid archive
- The archive is corrupt or damaged
- Bad CRC
- Unknown compression method
- Compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted
- If Zip files are deleted & when recovered using a data recovery software the recovered file can be incomplete due to fragmentation with file system. Such files again would not open & will be in corrupt state
- Repairs all types of Zip (32 -bit, 64-bit) & Zipx files
- Repairs corrupt Zip files with CRC errors
- Repairs large Zip files (4GB or more in size).
- Repairs Zip files stored on any storage media
- Once repair process is over, you can preview the lost data that can be recovered from the damaged / corrupt zip file
- Recovered file contents can be saved to any destination location accessible to the host operating system
- Supports Windows 7 (32 - bit, 64-bit)
Home page - http://www.remosoftware.com/