This class is the medicine you need whether you know it or not. This is the prescription that will make you better, the exercise that will make you faster, the vegetables, the antioxidants of art. Most beginning artists don’t know they need it or find it difficult and skip it to the detriment of their art.
Making a great illustration requires good drawing and rendering skills, BUT, many don’t realize that there’s a preliminary process that MUST take place first. Composing the image is essential to creating a beautiful painting, illustration, graphic novel image, comic panel, or book cover image. Drawing characters, objects and environments accurately and in proportion is a good foundation to making a great image but it’s only part of what you need. Putting everything together to create a complete image with effective eye movements, balance, focal points, legibility, and communication requires good design skills.
You will learn
- the 4 principles of design
- how to apply these principles in planning your image
- how to make your images more legible
- how to make complex images look simple
- how to create a hierarchy of focal points
- methods of working up from a thumbnail sketch to finished drawing