This is a fundamental drawing course designed specifically for children's book illustrators. In this video and PDF manual/workbook you will be shown how to use the "bean" shape to create 3 dimensional figures. The object of this class is to help you learn how to begin drawing a figure from any angle, attach limbs and head, and pose your character in any direction and from any angle. This is extremely helpful when creating comp sketches for dummy books and final sketches with your characters. Learning how to deviate from your reference to get the camera angle you want for the perspective you want is invaluable in the creation of original children's book illustration.
Includes 23 page PDF workbook
The 23 page PDF document link is included with both streaming and download options. The PDF comes with exercises you should practice on your own to understand how to apply the principles shown in the video. At over an hour of instruction this is a very good course to support your skills in our SVS Illustrating Children's Books class.
In this class you will learn:
- Common mistakes beginners make
- What the bean shape is
- How to use the bean to describe the torso
- Symmetry vs the bean shape
- How to draw the bean with volume in perspective
- How to overlap the bean on a torso
- How to add limbs to your bean figure
- How to redraw your bean characters in different perspectives and angles from your reference